In our previous article we have highlighted the rise of Ransomware Attacks which are mostly caused by Hackers to people who don’t adhere to security standards. We tried to come up with some of the security precautions one should take to ensure safety from such attacks.
Here are some additional security precautions you can take online
1. Never open spam emails or emails from unknown senders
2. Never download attachment from spam emails or suspicious emails
3. Click links in a spam emails or suspicious emails
4.Never follow suspicious link (promotional links of unverified sources)
We also looked into ANTI- RANSOMWARE SECURITY TOOLS
1. Use reliable, paid antivirus product that includes automatic update module and a real-time scanner. Some anti-virus software are already aware of the Petya ransomware and they have released extra data for this threat.
2. Understand the importance of having a traffic-filtering solution that can provide proactive anti-ransomware protection and do not store important data only on your computer (PC) . Have at least two backups of your data: on an external hard drive and in the cloud – Dropbox/Google Drive/etc.
3. The Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive/ application on your computer is not turned on by default but should be only opened once a day, to synchronize your data, and close them once this is done.
4. Your operating system and the software you use make sure they are up to date, including the latest security updates.
5. For daily use, don’t use an administrator account on my computer, use a guest account with limited privileges.
6.Turn off macros in the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc) once done using them in the browser
7. Remove the following plugins from your browsers: Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java and Silverlight. If you absolutely have to use them, set the browser to ask you if I want to activate these plugins when needed.
8. Adjusted your browser’s security and privacy settings for increased protection.
9. Remove outdated plugins and add-ons from the browser ,only keep the ones you use on a daily basis and keep them updated to the latest version.
10. Use an ad-blocker to avoid the threat of potentially malicious ads