The past year (2017) was a bit devastating with cyber-attacks, WannaCry and Ransomware causing havoc in the Cyberspace. These attacks are expected to rise this year (2018) as hackers will come up with new algorithms to crack down your firewalls and poorly structured passwords, we then had to look for some information that can safeguard your online life and this is what we came with:
- Never respond to requests for personal or account information online or over the phone. When your ID number is requested as an identifier. Watch out for convincing imitations of banks since almost everyone in Zimbabwe is using plastic money.
- Don’t overshare: Don’t make known of your birth date, mother’s maiden name, pet’s name or any other identifying information on social-media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Social media has made cyberstalking much easier. A stalker can easily locate and track their target’s every move.
- Go and look through your profile now and delete any personal information that you find.
Stay up to date: Install antivirus software on your computer/smart device and keep it updated. Use the latest version of your web browser. Install security patches and software updates as soon as they are available.
Make it difficult: Another easy way to protect yourself online is with your Hash password ( is a way of taking a variable-length password and creating a cryptic). Use unique and hard-to-guess passwords, don’t use passwords like your birth year they are easily figured out and don’t access secure websites using public Wi-Fi.
- Remember that your friends’ friends might be able to see your posts and updates even if you are not friends with them.
- Pay attention to your friend list when you post or link yourself to certain things there might be people there who don’t have your best interests at heart.
- Always remember that, once the internet gets hold of your information, you have no control over it. Anything you put up can be grabbed, copied and saved on someone else’s computer and mirrored on other sites.
- Be cautious about using geolocation services. Stalkers can easily access your location. In fact turn them off.