Zim’s Cryptocurrency Exchange Platform Golix Hacked
Yesternight we received an email from Zimbabwe’s Bitcoin exchange company Golix that someone has access to some of the emails on their platform which compromised Golix user email accounts. Therefore the company advised for everyone with an account with them to do a two-factor authentication.
“As a result of this intrusion, affected users have noticed some changes to their accounts such as the conversion of their cryptocurrencies and/or the acquisition of additional cryptocurrencies through already held US dollar balances,” said The Golix team
“We have a technical team that has been making changes to our systems and has already put in place measures that prevent the withdrawal of any form of currency from users accounts.”
The email also advised Golix email holders the following security measures people should take:
1. Change your Golix account password by clicking on “Forgot password” before you log in to your account.
2. Enable two-factor authentication using Google Authenticator on your Golix account.
3. Change your email password.
4. Enable two-factor authentication on your email account using Google Authenticator or other 2 factor options that are not SMS that may be provided by your email provider.
5. Do not use the same password for both your email and your Golix account.
6. If possible, use a password generator to generate the email password for you.
7. Avoid accessing your internet service over unsecured/untrusted internet services that you do not know are legitimate and verified internet providers.
8. Avoid using your name, surname, children’s names birthdays and other common attributes as your password.
9. Avoid accessing your email and Golix account on public internet services like internet cafes.
10. Do not share your password for any account you have with anyone.
11. Take note of possible phishing attacks on your email – these are “attacks” that trick you into clicking on links in suspicious emails that come through your account which may lead to loss of private data.
12. Please safeguard your privacy when it comes to information about your Golix account or how you deal with cryptocurrencies. Be very cautious about sharing unnecessary information about these issues, especially on public forums like WhatsApp and Telegram Groups and on social media.