- Zimbabwe’s fixed telephone usage (2020),
- Mobile telephone subscriptions increase,
According to Potraz Q4-2020, there was a consistent decline in the total active fixed telephone subscriptions throughout 2020 ending the year with a 1.7% decline to reach 252,067 as of 31 December 2020 from 265,734 recorded as of 30 March 2020.
Despite the downwards trend in subscriptions, fixed network traffic grew by 8.3% to record 98.2 million minutes in the fourth quarter from 90.6 million in the previous quarter. The growth in fixed voice traffic is attributable to the upscaling of business operations and the increased workforce following the relaxation of COVID-19 restrictions in the fourth quarter.
The decline in fixed telephone subscriptions can be attributed to the competition by mobile telephone which realized a 3.2% growth in active subscriptions in the quarter under review, reaching 13,191,708 from 12,798,298 recorded in the third quarter of 2020 and the ever-growing use of VoIP technologies by both individuals and businesses.
What Is VoIP
VoIP allows you to make and receive calls over the internet. The most popular examples of VoIP services are Skype and WhatsApp. It is great for businesses because it costs less than regular calling.
Here is why businesses and individuals are turning to VoIP technologies.
- Reduce telephone costs and save time by combining phone and internet accounts.
- Simplify your communications management with just a single network for both voice and data
- Furthermore, VoIP allows for more efficient communications through video conferencing and forwarding facilities
- You can also make computer to computer calls and online meetings